Thursday, March 27, 2014

Auditions!! (Part 2)

In my last post, I gave you the first very three steps on how to do an audition, and it just kind of abruptly ended. I decided I wouldn't throw like 1,200 words at you in one post, so you are welcome. But if any of you had an audition between the time I posted my last post, and now, you probably were completely lost because you were missing out on the rest of my expert advice on auditions! ;) JUST KIDDING! I have no idea how I made it into the band I was auditioning for so I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert....

 4. Finish your piece.

Correct way*: Grand finale! Dynamics, tone, musicality, rhythm! AND YOU DID IT! Breathe quietly and smile because you survived the first part.

Incorrect way: Grand finale! Oh wow, look how fast I'm playing this! There goes another five accidentals, I sound awesome! The piece ended, and I'm still playing. This may be an issue. Whoops. I might need to work on that some more.

Haha haha haha. Nope


5. Sight reading

Correct way: Look at piece. Oh sheesh! It's hard! Oh well don't panic. You don't have to be perfect. Key signature, time signature, dynamics, fingerings. Make sure you have your fingers for first five notes then you can work from there. Start when your ready, and even when it's hard, just keep looking for patterns. Play through, just worry about notes and rhythms, and don't stop. You made it! Not your best reading, but it could've been worse!

Incorrect way*: Look at piece. Oh sheesh! It's hard! PANIC! Those are really high notes!  I don't know those fingerings! Oh look this piece changes time signatures. That's nifty. Look at piece over and over, try to figure out first notes, but it doesn't work. Stare at piece. Person looks at watch again. Look at piece, try to start, mess up, and try again. Play through. Yup, this sounds great. I have no idea what I'm doing! Oh is that I spider in the corner! Nope, I'm just hallucinating. Oh good it's over. Oh well I wonder what that piece is supposed to sound like. Not like that!

This is scarier than spiders


6. Scales

Correct way*: Person asks you to play a scale from the lowest note you can play to the highest note you can play. Sweet! You know chromatic scales like the back of your hand!

Incorrect way: What's a scale? Where's the back of my hand? Oh look! I stopped shaking! Progress!!

7. Exit.

Correct way*: Look at the person auditioning you, say thank you, they nod back at you, grab your music, and walk out the door.

Incorrect way: Look at the person auditioning you, apologize (NEVER, EVER DO THIS IN AN AUDITION), they look at you like they don't know what to say, walk out, then shuffle back in nonchalantly because you forgot your music. Trip out door, and while closing the door behind you, say really loudly, "That was horrible!" and that person shakes their head in agreement.

Tripping over flat surfaces requires talent


TAH-DAH

Note to self, the stars are what I did. And no, I did not do all the incorrect ones, I'm not that special.

One last thing, if you are a band kid and haven't already seen this, you will appreciate this.

True fact... More on this next time


No comments:

Post a Comment